Punjab Nirogi Yojna Scheme Overview
Punjab Nirogi Yojna (DHS-3)
(Centre Share 33%: State Share 66%)
In order to provide financial assistance to poor patient’s particularly living poverty line who is suffering from major life threatening disease to receive medical treatment at any of the Super Specialty Hospital/ Institute under the Government or other Government Hospitals, the State Government decided to set up State Illness Fund under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme. As per the requirement of the Government of India, an independent society, has been got registered under Society Registration Act 1860 under the name & Style of “PUNJAB NIROGI SOCIETY” (PNS) in the year 2007-08 (August).
Under the scheme an amount of Rs. 275.00 lakh has been received in the ratio of Rs.225.00: 50.00 from the Government of India and State Government respectively as on date, so far financial assistance amounting to Rs. 47.80 Lakh to 55 applicants has been sanctioned and an amount of Rs. 35.61 Lakh has been released as on 31.3.2011.
Under this scheme, the contribution of Government of India is 75% of the premium payable. Additionally, the cost of smart card, estimated at Rs.60 is borne by the Central Government. The remaining 25% will be borne by the State Government. Rs. 30 is being paid by the beneficiary as registration fee per annum and this is retained by the state Nodal Agencies to administer the scheme.
At the State Level, the scheme is being implemented through State Nodal Agencies. In Punjab, the Punjab Health Systems Corporation has been designated as State Nodal Agency for RSBY.
State Illness fund/Punjab Nirogi Yojna (DHS-3)
(Centre Share 33%: State Share 67%)
In order to provide financial assistance to poor patient’s particularly living Below Poverty Line (BPL) who are suffering from major life threatening disease to receive treatment at any of the Super Specialty Hospital/ Institute under the Government or other Government Hospitals, the State Government decided to set up State Illness Fund under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme. As per the requirement of the Government of India, an independent society has been got registered under society Registration (PNS) in the year 2007-08 (August), we have received Rs. 50.00 lacs from Government of India & Rs. 225.00 lacs from Government of Punjab for the Year 2007-08 to 2010-11.
The PNS has its own Managing Committee which consists of following members who are competent to approve the financial assistance:
- General Manager (F&A) Cum Secretary PNS
- Director Health Services
- Managing Director PHSC
- Principal Secretary Health & Family Welfare
- Hon'ble Health Minister
The case for grant of financial assistance is examined in the office and proposal is forwarded to the above said members for their concurrence. On approval of the case, the financial assistance is deposited in that hospital where the treatment of beneficiary is going on.
Up till 31.03.11, the Nirogi Society has approved 55 cases, where financial assistance to the tune of Rs.48.34 lacs has been released to various hospitals where the treatment of beneficiary is going on. Presently, we are having Rs. 283.00 lacs (including Rs. 56.00 lacs as interest) as corpus in PNS. We have taken steps for giving wide publicity to this scheme through publication of posters forwarded to all hospitals in the State. 7 nos. Governing Body Meetings of the PNS has been held till its inception. The eligibility criteria as fixed by Government of India & specified format on which the beneficiary has to get the benefit are attached for reference.